WADA PRESIDENT WITOLD BAŃKA CALLS FOR GREATER FOCUS ON ANTI-DOPING WITHIN EUROPEAN UNION
The President of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), Witold Bańka, called on the European Union (EU) to prioritize the protection of clean sport on the agenda of all future presidencies of the EU and in all future versions of the EU Work Plan for Sport.
Speaking at this week’s EU Anti-Doping Conference, held under the Czech Presidency of the Council of the EU, the WADA President was among several sport leaders to deliver a welcome address to those in attendance at this year’s conference, which took place in Prague, Czech Republic on 7-8 November 2022.
In his speech, President Bańka stressed the importance of continued cooperation between WADA and the EU for the protection of athletes right across the continent and beyond.
The conference focused on a number of themes, including:
- Promoting a healthy lifestyle and clean sport in youth athletes;
- The role of WADA, National Anti-Doping Organizations and governmental institutions in anti-doping governance;
- The role of education in protecting clean sport;
- Data privacy in anti-doping from the EU perspective;
- WADA’s pilot project focused on building investigative capability and capacity in Europe, which is co-funded by the EU; and
- The role of the EU in the protection of clean sport
PUBLISHED: November 08, 2022